Saturday 30 November 2013

What Christmas means to us


Christmas in our house is a collection of small things. It’s John Denver’s Rocky Mountain Christmas, it’s Miracle on 34th Street (The original) and it’s trimming the tree as a family. It’s a pretty simply tradition that we have; we always have a real tree and we each sort through the decorations finding the one’s that are special to us. We each take turns in picking our favourite music. Chris and I have been married 25 years and we have Christmas tree ornaments that go back to 1986. We have ornaments with names and dates and places on them. We have one special one that reads 'Our first Christmas together' Yes I understand that its a bit warm and fuzzy, but I would not trade it for anything. I have ornaments from Theatre’s that I have acted with and Chris has ornaments that she received while working on Capitol Hill. The girls have ornaments that they have picked over the years, which has now become a tradition.

Our tree is a symbol of our love for each other. It is the one time of year when no matter our differences we can all agree on a common thread. We still put Reindeer food out and leave cookies and milk for Santa (Although now we live in England it’s a Mince Pie instead of a Cookie)

There is something magical about watching the Polar express. The last words (and I paraphrase) “Over the years the bell has stopped ringing for my friends, and one year it stopped ringing for my sister. But at Christmas I still hear the sweet sound of that beautiful bell.” I hope your Holiday no matter how you celebrate it will be special and I hope you hear the music in your heart.


Happy Holidays…

No comments:

Post a Comment