Thursday 28 November 2013

The Courage To Be Brave.


Tonight, I saw my oldest daughter Erin, perform in her last school play. She played the role of Tituba in The Crucible. She was wonderful, and I, as any parent would be, am very proud.

But it was not the role she played or how well she performed that made me the most proud. It was the understanding, that in-between all of the crying and complaining that has gone on over the last few months. In-between rehearsals, which have taken up most of the families lives, and  the never ending issues with learning lines and being a taxi driver for Erin and many of her friends. While all of this was going on something else was happening. Erin was growing up. Suddenly tonight I realised that she is not a little girl any more and while she may not yet be a woman she has become her own person.

I was taken by how brave she is to get up in front of total strangers, completely vulnerable and show to the world, who she is. I am so proud of her willingness to step above the parapet with confidence and be willing to fail, but in that moment of willingness, she shone and succeeded. As a Dad I am so very proud of who she has become and a little sad to see my little girl move on.


We forget sometimes as parents that it takes courage to be different.


Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment