Monday 4 May 2015

Watford 10K Both Humbled and Inspired.

Humble and Inspired

Today I took part in the Watford 10K along with approximately 900 other runners of varying skills and ages. We ranged from three to seventy five plus and varied in athletic abillity
from part run part walk, to club level almost sprint. The fastest time was a full 100% faster than my time which I might add I am still very proud of in 1 hour 12 minutes.

I feel humbled that given my age of 60 in August, there were athletes much stronger placed than I, some fifteen years my senior and I also feel inspired that I was able to be part of that experience.

There were mothers, fathers, grandparents and children and at least one athlete who was blind who inspired me all the more and again humbled me as she passed on my left holding the arm of her running partner.

The fastest time was 37 min 15 seconds and the final athlete to victoriously cross the line was 1 hour 5. The value was not in the time but n the taste of victory that we participated and rose to the challenge knowing others did not. Today many people took on their demons and beat them. For some it is physical for others age. There blind athletes and some in wheelchairs. Some of us are confronted with the voice of doubt that says "Quit" and others of us have that nagging little voice of self worth saying "Who do you think you are that you should take life by the tail and win?"

Everyone has a moment of doubt in their life and it is is the choice we make at that moment which determines the outcome of our future. I encourage you to make brave choices and live your dreams and if the voices of doubt and reason keep talking in the background, invite them along for the ride, just don't pay them any notice.


With aching legs and a soaring heart I will go to bed a happier person tonight.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment