Tuesday 8 April 2014

Biker Dad. Work Hard Have Fun See Reults!


A Bit Of Old Fashioned Hard Work.

I am lucky that where I go to swim is nice clean and relatively quiet pool. What it does is affords me the opportunity to train, with limited interruption to my routine. Today I put into the regime a time honoured secret that has always worked for me over the years; Hard work and focus, oh and fun, it must be fun.

Fun I feel is dependent on the individual’s definition of course, and, fun to me is when I see the results of me efforts. You know, reaping the fruits of ones labours. 

In order to beat last years times in the London Triathlon, I am going to break down the whole thing 
into measurable pieces, with attainable goals. My last run, which was yesterday I broke the 18 minute barrier for 2 ½ K. My time was 17 minutes 40 seconds. So my training will be broken into 1K chunks that I can time. My goal is to run a 6 minute 1K and, if I can consistently run that time, it will give me a 15 minute 2 ½ K, which is the distance I will do in the London Triathlon.

Tonight though, my swim training was borrowed from when I swam in the Army. Essentially is was a bit like shuttle runs. You swim a length at full speed and then get out and walk back down the pool, get back in the water and then swim another length at full speed. Don’t cheat by walking slowly, just give yourself enough time to regain some breath and then keep going. I did 16 lengths, which is my 400 metres. I then gave myself a five minute rest and did a time trial on 100 metres (4 lengths) my goal was 2 minutes, which theoretically would give me an 8 minute four hundred metres. Half way down length three I sucked in half the pool (Hey it happens) and as a result half way down lap four, I had to revert to breaststroke (Damn it) my time was 1.58. I am happy with this as my first session of training that was geared to improving my speed, focus and strength.

My next goal is to complete six lengths at the 2 minute pace for 100 metres. As I get stronger I will add two more lengths and so on, until I am up to the sixteen (400 metres)

This is my game plan until I start to see results for all three disciplines. 

  • Take the whole. 
  • Break it down into measurable achievable pieces.
  • Work hard and have fun.

The other benefit is that my pants are starting fit again.

Remember, work hard, have fun!

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment